A-1 Skyraider Stinger Bee/Thunderbolt, 15CC, ARF, Seagull Model
Seagull Models, Skyraider, 15cc (ARF) 63" wingspan.
Seagull Models, Skyraider, 15cc (ARF)
Seagull has captured the look and history of the legendary Douglas Skyraider in this exciting semi-scale ARF, suitable for Glow, Gas, or Electric power. The airframe is conventional built balsa and plywood construction, yet a modern laser-cut design allows the airplane to be kept light. You will find that most of the work has been done for you. The pushrods are pre-made to the correct lengths and the hinges are pre-installed. Includes extra scale features such as wing guns, drop tanks, antenna, and operating navigation lights. Includes fixed landing gear - using same mounting as optional electric rotating retracts.
- A classic balsa and plywood ARF (Almost-Ready-To-Fly)
- All major components are factory built and finished
- Modern construction methods utilize CAD design and laser-cut parts
- Covered in genuine UltraCote covering film
- Fiberglass cowling with dummy engine and cowl flap details
- Operational flaps for an improved flight envelope
- Airfoil shaped tail surfaces for improved flight performance
- 2-piece plug-in wing for easy transport
- Strong aluminum wing joiner tube joiner
- Scale cockpit detail with pilot
- Bonus scale details like wing guns, drop tanks, and antenna
- Wing mounted navigation lights included
- Designed for gasoline/glow engines or electric
- Fixed landing gear included (mount is suitable for optional retracts)
- All necessary hardware and accessories included
Wing Span:63 in.(1600 mm)
Wing Area:637 sq. in.(51.1 dm2)
Length:47.8 in.(1215 mm)
Weight (approx.):8.6 lbs.(3.9 kg)
Wing Loading:31.0 oz./sq. ft.(94.2 g/dm2)
Radio Req.:6-Channel with 7 Servos
Rec. Engine:10 - 15 cc Gas or Glow or equivalent Electric Motor
The A-1 Skyraider was initially developed during WWII to perform as a carrier based long-range torpedo/dive bomber. It missed the second world war by a few months, but quickly proved itself as a reliable performer, capable of carrying a tremendous amount of ordanance on seven hardpoints on each wing, while maintaining excellent low speed manueverability. It could loiter on target for much longer periods than faster aircraft and deliver its substantial load of ordanance with greater precision.
These design characteristics resulted in it seeing substantial combat in Korea, and later in Vietnam, where it proved extremely beneficial. Although the USN and USMC were beginning to phase out the Skyraider in favour of the A-6 Intruder, it continued to see substantial service, with many being transferred to the USAF where they were used in a close support role, particularly with the Air Rescue and Recovery Service where they protected downed pilots until HH-3 Jolly Green Giants were able to extract them to safety. It also saved the lives of hundreds of servicemen who were facing imminent harm, thanks to its ability to deliver ordanance in close proximity to ground forces. At least two USAF pilots recieved the Congressional Medal of Honour for actions they undertook while flying the Skyraider. Thanks to Seagull Models you may now enjoy an easy and fun to fly replica of the Skyraider workhorse!